With Ontarians bracing for new modelling numbers that Premier Doug Ford warned would be a “wake-up call,” the province reached another grim milestone on Monday with 29 more deaths pushing the death toll beyond 5,000.
A total of 5,012 lives have now been lost to the unforgiving virus.
Ontario reported 3,338 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday — the eighth straight day that cases have surpassed the 3,000 mark.
Most of the new cases are in Toronto (931), followed by Peel Region (531), York Region (24), Niagara (168), and Waterloo (165).
The province said more than 46,400 tests were completed since the provincial update on Sunday, with a backlog of 28,774 tests.
Officials also said that as of 8 p.m. Sunday, 122,105 vaccine doses had been administered.
Premier Ford’s cabinet is meeting Monday to discuss further restrictions for the province, as cases continue to surge.
“We will be going to cabinet with recommendations. We’ll make an announcement tomorrow,” Ford said ahead of the meeting.
On Sunday, the province set a daily record high of 3,945 new cases.
Late last week the province announced a new round of modelling numbers that will also be released on Tuesday. Ford ominously stated that the numbers would cause you to “fall off your chair.”