Breadfruit actually belongs to a group of vegetables. This originates from a flowering tree called ‘Artocarpus Altillis’. The breadfruit tree is a member of mulberry family, and therefore is often considered a type of mulberry. Birthplace of this nutritionally rich vegetable is Western Pacific Islands and Malay Peninsula.
Breadfruit is green from outside and yellow from the inside. This soft vegetable makes a palatable dish when cooked properly. Due to its high nutrition value, one can have breadfruit regularly without the chance of any side effect. It is also known as ‘Bakri Chajhar’ in Hindi, ‘Seema Panasa’ in Telugu, ‘Nirphanas’ in Marathi, ‘Irppla’ in Tamil, ‘Kada Chakka’ in Malayalam, ‘Gujjekai’ in Kannada, and ‘Nirphanas’ in Marathi. Breadfruit has many health benefits, and these benefits are evident on skin and the hair.
Health Benefits of Breadfruit:
1. Breadfruit is rich in fiber. The fiber content of the vegetable provides a person relief suffering from diabetes (1). Researches made on this vegetable have established that regular intake of breadfruit can reduce the risk of diabetes and keeps the same under control. It does so by reducing the absorption of sugar by human body from the food.
2. For being rich in fiber, breadfruit is also an excellent energy booster. It gives the fullness of eating without increasing the calorie intake. Therefore, a person feels energetic and active for after eating breadfruit. This vegetable is also good at reducing the risk of heart disorder and cholesterol problems. Studies have shown that breadfruit helps to reduce the bad cholesterol while inducing the amount of good cholesterol in the body (2).
3. Breadfruit is a rich source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Besides being beneficial for skin and hair, these two essential fatty acids are quite good for maintaining a healthy heart. Omega-3 fatty acid is also essential for the growth of brain and mind. Experts have commented that regular intake of breadfruit can help a growing child in the development of brain to great extent (3).
4. Regular intake of breadfruit is beneficial for proper bowel movement and intestine functionalisms (4). The fiber present in breadfruit again helps to pass stool and also drains out toxins from the intestine.
5. Breadfruit is considered an ideal diet food as well. For people suffering from overweight, breadfruit is the best option. This great to taste food is good for an overweight person, as it contains less calories and high fiber amounts (5). The fiber in breadfruit is truly a multi-tusker, as it helps to fight with the body fats and cellulites.
Skin Benefits of Breadfruit:
6. Apart from the various health benefits that breadfruit provides to all, it has some skin benefits as well. The vegetable is stuffed with a lot of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are both considered excellent for the skin. In addition, it is also a rich source of vitamin C, which is considered excellent for skin health (6).
7. Regular consumption of this food makes skin healthy from both outside and inside. Recent studies have established that antioxidants present in breadfruit are good for preventing skin infections and rashes (7). It is good to eat breadfruit for enhancing skin tone as well. A person would surely enjoy smooth and shining skin by eating breadfruit in the adequate amount.
[ Read: Black Dates Benefits ]
Breadfruit Benefits for Hair:
8. Breadfruit is an excellent source of all vitamins and minerals. For being so, it makes a healthy choice for the hair health too. Again, the omega- and 6 fatty acids prove to wonder for the hair follicles (8).
9. Regular intake of breadfruit strengthens hair roots and stimulates hair growth. The vegetable is a very good option for one who looks for healthy and thick hair.
10. Breadfruit prevents hair disorders such as dandruff effectively (9). Concisely, it is an excellent natural treatment for hair thinning.